Monday, March 12, 2012

And it's done... well mostly... can't be ALL done, that's just silly

So, this is the fruit of the labor of several weekends.  The counter is 3/4" lodgepole pine that we purchased as 2 pieces of 96" x 12".  I used the biscuit joiner to join the two pieces lengthwise.  Then I went at it for a while with a belt sander to smooth the seam.  I completed the counter top with 1 3/4" trim in a different wood... which is slipping my mind right now.  I doweled the trim to the counter and finished it with oak dowel plugs.  

For the shelves- I used the leftover from the counter top to make the bottom shelf- same deal with the biscuits.  For the top shelf I biscuited 4 1x6's together.  I didn't get around to sanding and varnishing the top shelf... there's something about finishing the project that freaks me out.  Finally, I attached the counter to the cabinets with pocket hole screws.  It was pretty easy, except that I freaked Eric out because the screws were a touch too long so I didn't want to poke out the top of the counter and he was responsible for watching for screws coming out the top- none did.

All in all, I am very pleased with myself... and the result of the project.  The hickory in the pre-made cabinets is tied together nicely with the contrasting wood of the trim and shelf faces.  If I were to do it all over again and had a heated, larger work space, I might consider building it from the bottom up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment